Someone has said that they view pride is the source of all other sins… I think they are right. How about joining me in a little self-evaluation. Consider the following:
- Pride mocks others “The proud have me in great derision…” Psalms 119:51.
- Pride lies about others “The proud have forged a lie against me…” Psalms 119:69.
- Pride mistreats others “Let the proud be ashamed, For they treated me wrongfully with falsehood…” Psalms 119:78.
- Pride seeks to destroys others “The proud have dug pits for me…” Psalms 119:85,.
- Pride oppresses others “… Do not let the proud oppress me.” Psalms 119:122.
- Pride deceives others “The proud have hidden a snare for me, and cords; They have spread a net by the wayside; They have set traps for me. Selah” Psalms 140:5.
- Pride is communicated by lips and looks “A proud look, A lying tongue, Hands that shed innocent blood,” Proverbs 6:17.
- Pride uses the mouth to beat others down “In the mouth of a fool is a rod of pride, But the lips of the wise will preserve them.” Proverbs 14:3.
- Pride must display itself, cannot stay home. ““Indeed, because he transgresses by wine, He is a proud man, And he does not stay at home…” Habakkuk 2:5.
- Pride embellishes the truth “Let the lying lips be put to silence, Which speak insolent things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous.” Psalms 31:18.
Remember that God fights against the proud person and will destroy everything they attempt to accomplish. “Pride goes before destruction and a haughty spirit before a fall.”
One of the greatest dangers of pride is that it lies at the root of our rebellion against God. Every refusal to receive Christ as Lord and Savior is driven by pride! That is a sobering thought!
If the above list convicts you do something about it! Humble yourself by gazing at Christ! Evaluate yourself, your achievements, your possessions and everything else in relation to God. “Humble yourself under the mighty hand of God and He will exalt you in due season.”