In his excellent book, Nine Marks of a Healthy Church, Pastor Mark Dever gives the following reasons why every Christian Should join a local church:
- To assure ourselves. We do not join a local church so that we can be saved. Salvation is by grace through faith alone in Jesus Christ. You may however want to join the church to make certain that you are saved. God intends us as his disciples to join together with other Christians to worship and serve God.
- To evangelize the world. Together with other Christians we reach out to our world with the gospel of Jesus Christ. We promote the gospel by taking it to those who have not heard it and also by living lives together in community that reflect the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- To expose false Gospels. As we join together in a local church community we revealed to the world what true Christianity really is. We come to church because we need help, because we know that we are dependent upon God loon for our eternal solution and our every day living.
- To edify the church. Our responsibility is to build up others in the body of Christ. It is also their responsibility to hold us accountable for our decisions and our actions. Together we help one another grow in the likeness of Jesus Christ before watching world.
- To glorify God. Driving purpose for our existence is that we glorify and exalt are glorious God. Peter wrote in 1 Peter 2:12 “live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.” God receives glory through his children as the obey his commands to love one another fervently with a pure heart.
We are very excited at Kitwe Church to move towards chartering our church, and excepting the first registered members.