Today our text is John 1:1-5.
Before we tackle this amazing passage I invite you to watch this breathtaking video entitled: “Indescribable.”ARVE Error: need id and provider
How do you attempt to describe God?
There are times we face something so glorious, so overwhelming, so great that the words of a human language are inadequate to express it. In those moments we may simply say: Wow! Awesome!
- I felt this way when my wife gave birth to our firstborn daughter Cherith.
- I felt this way when I stood at the edge of the Grand Canyon in Arizona, USA.
How much more God! He is indescribable!
Intro to the Book of John:
Today we begin a series in the Gospel of John that we are calling “50 Days With Jesus”.
In the weeks ahead we will follow Jesus, watch His life, learn from His teaching, observe How he lives and interacts with the world around Him. We will spend time with Jesus as He demonstrates God’s love for man by submitting to arrest and crucifixion so that God might be just in His condemnation of sin while at the same time freely offering us forgiveness and reconciliation.
The Book of John is one of four “gospels”. The word gospel means “good news.”
- Matthew – Presents Jesus as King – His audience: Jews
- Mark – Presents Jesus as a Servant – His audience: Romans
- Luke – Presents Jesus as the Perfect Man – His audience: Greeks
- John – Presents Jesus as Mighty God – His audience: the world.
The first three gospels – Matthew, Mark & Luke are called Synoptic Gospels. Matthew, Mark, and Luke are known as the “Synoptic Gospels”. This simply means “to see together” referring to the similarities in the content of these three gospels.
The Gospel of John however contains a large amount of material not found in the other three books. In fact about 90% of the information in John is not found in the other gospels.
So why is the Gospel of John so important and special? Well, John himself tells us his purpose for writing:
“But these things have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.” (John 20:31)
John tells us his purpose for writing is two-fold:
- His purpose for writing was apologetic – “that you may believe.”
- His purpose for writing was evangelistic – that “by believing you may have life through His name.”
John’s apologetic and evangelistic purpose was to convince his readers of Jesus’ true identity. John presents Jesus as God in the flesh (1:1, 14; 8:23,58; 10:30; 20:28), the Messiah (Jewish deliverer) (1:41; 4:25-26), and the Savior of the world (4:42).(MacArthur; John 1-11)
The key word used over 100x in the book: Believe! John is going to make his case throughout the book to prove what he claims about Jesus in chapter 1:1-5.
In our text today we will see Three Evidences That Jesus Christ is Indescribable God:
I. JESUS CHRIST WAS WITH THE FATHER IN ETERNITY PAST (1-2)
A. The place – “in the beginning.”
- He already existed when time and space began (Gen 1:1, John 17:5).
- He is the eternally preexistent one!
B. The person – “was the Word.”
- “Was” (Heb. ito) meaning He personally existed for all eternity. He has no beginning, He has no end. He created time and space, but is Himself outside of time and space.
- “The Word” – Deity expressed in audible terms. When I have a thought – worlds are the way that thought becomes coherent Words communicate – the way that I share those thoughts with others – Jesus is the way God communicates to us. Words reveal a person to us – Christ reveals to us the character and nature of God.
Hebrews 1:1-2 – God has in these last days spoken through His Son.
John 1:18 – The Son declares the Father…
Matthew 17:15 – At the transfiguration, God the Father said, “This is my beloved Son, hear Him!”
3. “The Word was with God.” – He is a personal separate personality. God exists as a trinity. One in nature, character, person and essence; but fulfilling different roles
4. “The Word was with God.” – He is a personal separate personality. God exists as a trinity. One in nature, character, person and essence; but fulfilling different roles:
- God the Father – planned salvation
- God the Son – brought salvation
- God the Holy Spirit – applies salvation
5. “The Word was God – This is an absolute, undeniable claim to absolute deity.
Why is this important?
- Because if He is in fact God then He can save us from sin! (1:12-13)
- Because you cannot know God unless you know Jesus Christ because it is only in Christ that God is fully told out!
John 14:9 – “If you have seen me you have seen the Father!”
2 Corinthians 4:6 – the “knowledge of God” is only seen “in the face of Jesus Christ.”
II. JESUS CHRIST CREATED EVERYTHING (3)
A. God is Creator (Gen. 1:1)
1. Man with all his boasting and mechanical inventions cannot create a single thing – he must use elements and compounds that already exist.
2. Men spend their lives extracting useful metals from deep within the ground, metals that God flung there with one word from His mouth!
B. Jesus is the Creator (3)
1. There was nothing created apart from Him.
Col. 1:16-17: For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.
Eph 3:9: and to make all see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ;
Heb 1:2: God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds;
2. He is all-powerful God.
III. JESUS CHRIST IS LIFE & LIGHT (4-5)
A. He is the source of life (4)
1. No one gave Jesus Christ life – He is the self-existent one! All life resides in Him, He is the giver of it!
2. There are two types of life, Physical life and Spiritual life
- Physical life: Our life is borrowed, it was given to us and it will one day come to an end. Not so with Jesus Christ. He is the source of all life!
- The second type of life is spiritual life – and this is the word used here and throughout John (36x). Jesus Christ is the source of spiritual life, life that continues forever. Ephesians 2:1 And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins,
B. His life is the light of men (5)
1. “The light shines in darkness”
- Intellectually: light = truth. Darkness = falsehood. Morally: light = holiness. Darkness = sin
- All mankind regardless of their family heritage, cultural background, are born in darkness.
Education cannot dispel the darkness of a man’s heart. The problem is not bad friends or poverty – the problem is spiritual darkness! There is only one thing in the universe powerful enough to dispel the darkness that is Jesus Christ! The radiating manifestation of God is revealed in His son, Jesus Christ! God is light and in Him is no darkness at all!
2. “The darkness cannot overpower the light”
- Satan & Demons knew who Jesus was (Mt.8:29, Mk. 1:34). Because they knew who He was they tried to kill him. Herod’s attempt to kill him as a baby (Mt 2:16). Satan tried to tempt Jesus (Mt. 4:1-11).
- Unbelievers are eternally lost, not because they do not know who the truth but because they reject it! (Ro. 1:18-21). Jesus said that no one who denies the deity of Christ can be saved! No one!
Jn. 8:24 That is why I said that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I Am (who I claim to be), you will die in your sins.”
So here is what this all means to you and me today!
- Because He is ETERNAL, He is always with you. There is not a place you can be that He is not there with you.
- Because He is the CREATOR He is capable and powerful enough to care for you today and forever. He is able to meet your needs, to give you strength, purpose and hope.
- Because He is GOD He knows everything, He knows you – your hurts and fears and joys. No matter what you are facing right now, God knows and He cares.
- Because He is LIGHT He will always conquer the darkness of false belief and sin. He is the absolute guarantee that you can pass from spiritual darkness into light. The darkness cannot and will not overpower the light!
- Because he is LIFE you can can experience His eternal, everlasting life through believing in Jesus Christ and thus being forgiven for your sin.
This God we speak of today, the God who revealed Himself to us in Jesus Christ is so great and glorious that He is INDESCRIBABLE!
He is awesome in His greatness and glory, yet He knows You! He loves you and He calls you to become His child today.
You can download a PDF copy of this Bible study here: Indescribable God.
If you would like spiritual help, please get in touch with us on email at email@example.com or cell 0976513466.