Prophecy in the sense of “forth-telling” is happening today. Anytime someone stands to teach and preach the Bible that person can authoritatively say, “Thus says the Lord…”
But most likely your question is not about this kind of prophecy. There is no prophecy today in the sense of “fore-telling.” There is no gift of prophecy in the sense of miraculous predictions though direct revelation. God is not giving extra-biblical revelation, he has given us His Word, and it is complete for now.
God gave us His Word in three ways: Revelation, inspiration, illumination.
- Revelation – from God to man. Man hears what God wants written.
- Inspiration – from man to paper. Man writes that which God wants written (II Ti. 3:16; I Pt. 1:21).
- Illumination – from paper to heart. Man receives the light of that which God has written.
The Holy Spirit of God is not giving Revelation and Inspiration in our day. This is because He has given us the completed Word of God – our Bible. The work of the Holy Spirit today is to illuminate the revelation of God to our understanding. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
Consider the Biblical test for prophecy:
- It must be true (Ezk 13:4-9)
- It must not contradict previously revealed truth (1 Co. 14:32; 1 Jn. 4:1)
- It must come to pass without fail (Deut 18:20-22)
If a person claims to be a prophet and speak for God, but not all of his prophecies are true, if he contradicts previous truth or if even one of his prophecies fail to come to pass, we are instructed not to honor him. We are not to listen to what he has to say, he is a deceiver, a false prophet (2 Pt. 2;1).
“Sola Scriptura” – Scripture alone! God’s Word is the only basis for Diving authority. God in His written word has given us all that pertains to life and godliness.
2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.