Back to the Beginning: Meet Our Personal God
In Genesis 1:26-2:17 we meet the personal God of Creation.
The Book of Genesis gives us the beginning: Universe, world, home, family, marriage, sin, and redemption. Right at the beginning we are given the answers to life’s greatest questions:
- Where did I come from?
- Why am I here?
- Where am I going?
Genesis written by Moses @ 1446-1406 for the purpose of explaining to the Jews where they came from and how God chose them.
The Story of Genesis unfolds in two parts. The first section focuses on four great events (ch. 1-11) spanning a total of 2000+ years from 4000+BC – 2090 BC. These four great events are:
- Creation (1-2)
- Fall (3-4)
- Flood (5-10)
- Nations (11)
The second section focuses on four great people (ch. 12-50). These people are:
- Jacob – Ch. 12-36 – 193 years from2090 BC – 1897 BC.
- Joseph – Ch. 37-50 – 93 years from 1897 BC – 1804 BC.
Here is how God reveals Himself in Creation
- Chapter 1 – six days of creation – God reveals Himself as a powerful God.
- Chapter 2 – sixth day of creation – God reveals Himself as a personal God.
We have already seen that:
- Creation reveals Proof of God (1:1-2)
- Creation reveals the Power of God (1:3-26)
From this we made several concluding applications:
- If God is powerful enough to create the world, He is powerful enough to take care of the problem I am facing in my life today
- If God is powerful enough to create the world, He is powerful enough to help me when I call
- If God is powerful and wise enough to create the world, I can trust He knows best in my life.
Now we will to see how creation reveals the Personal God of Creation (2:4-17).
CREATION OF MAN REVEALS THE PERSON OF GOD (1:27-2:17)
Chapter 1 introduces us to God by the name Elohim. This name refers to God as the Creator of the Universe. Now in chapter 2:4 the name Yaweh Elohim is used for the first time. Yahweh is the personal covenant name God takes when he relates to and redeems His people.
Desire of the Godhead – Trinity to create man. “Let us” (3:22, 11:7; I Jn 5:7). God’s will fulfilled in the creation of man.
“Everyone who is called by My name, Whom I have created for My glory; I have formed him, yes, I have made him.”” Isaiah 43:7
You are special! You are wanted! Your are loved! God desired for you to exist and live in this generation!
““For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell asleep…;” Acts 13:36
Design (26b-27, 2:7)
God formed man. The term formed speaks of “careful design”. Man was designed after God! When the Great Architect of the universe wanted to make his highest creation, He used Himself as the design.
God formed man in His Image. This means we share in God’s attributes: life, personality, truth, wisdom, love, holiness, justice. Because to this we have the capacity for spiritual fellowship with Him. God is a spirit, does not have a body. We were created in His image:
- Man has a conscience – ability to know right from wrong
- Man has a mind – ability to reason
- Man has a will – ability to choose to carry out his desires
- Man has emotions – ability to feel joy, pin, remorse, excitement etc.
God breathed into Adam. This breathing speaks of intimacy. Adam was kissed by God and he became a living being. He breathes like all the other creatures, but he is different from them because God breathed into Him His life making him unlike all the animals. Man is immortal – he has been given the eternal life of God.
- Man has immense capacities
- Man is responsible
- Man has great potential for glory and for disaster
In this we are vastly different from the animals. An ape has never composed a song, sang a song, played a musical instrument, never written a book or read one, never driven a nail or treated someone who is sick. No animal can think about eternity or salvation in God. We can for we are designed in His image!
You are of GREAT VALUE – created in the image of God!
What is the destiny of man? To obey God! (Eph. 2:10; I Jn. 5:3). God said, “Be fruitful and multiply “(28; Ps. 127:3-5). God said, “Subdue the earth” which means to tend it (28, 2:15).
“When you eat the labor of your hands, You shall be happy, and it shall be well with you.” Psalms 128:2.
Purpose (15) – man was created to work, work was instituted prior to the fall of man into sin. Have dominion over all created things – to rule, exert leadership as God’s representative.
Follow God’s instructions – do not eat of the tree (2:16-17).
Person – Adam (7). God’s commands are God’s blessings. Commands obeyed lead to blessings enjoyed. Love is demonstrated by obedience ““If you love Me, keep My commandments.” John 14:15
Place – Eden (8). When we live in obedience it will result in blessings, disobedience brings a curse. When Adam rebelled he lost Eden!
- Pleasant to the eyes – God is a God of beauty
- Pleasant to the taste – Good for food, water
We take so much for granted. Only a child of God can stop and really appreciate the blessings of God’s creation.
LESSONS FROM CREATION
We were created by God.
I know where I came from. I am not an accident. I am not here by mistake or chance, I’m not the result of some evolutionary process.
“But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?”” Romans 9:20.
Life Lesson: God cares especially for me. He knows all about me and desires my good.
““But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.” Matthew 10:30
We were created in the image of God
I was created with an inner spiritual nature that enables me to know God and worship Him.
I am different from the animals with privileges, cares and responsibilities.
Life Lesson: I must seek by His power to be like Him, conformed to His image – to love like Him, give like Him, be holy like Him, forgive like Him.
“For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.” Romans 8:29
We were created to have dominion over the world (1:26,28)
Law, courts, justice etc.
“Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.” Romans 13:1.
We were created to worship, praise and obey our wonderful Creator (1:31; Rev. 4:11)
God saw that it was “very good” – Creation is not evil. As we see God’s work in creation we are filled with awe and worship… Not the creation, but the Creator!
Why am I here? The chief purpose of man: To glorify God and worship Him forever. If we are worshippers of God, we will be obedient! We were created to be good stewards of God’s creation.
Because everyone is created in God’s image, we should respect our fellow human beings who are also created in the image of God (Gen. 9:6).
“For who makes you differ from another? And what do you have that you did not receive? Now if you did indeed receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?” 1 Cor 4:7
- No tribalism
- No superiority complex
- No prejudice because of race or position
- No ill-treatment of our fellow mankind
- We should appreciate the gifts we of God’s creation and not waste or exploit them. We should not throw garbage everywhere
- We should not carelessly, needlessly destroy or trash things
- We should not in greed destroy animal life – killing animals for food and needs is acceptable, but hunting rhino to extinction for their horn is wrong.
- We should not abuse animals
“A righteous man regards the life of his animal, But the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.” Proverbs 12:10.
Word of warning: God will destroy those who destroy the earth. We cannot honor the God of creation if we dishonor his creation.
“The nations were angry, and Your wrath has come, And the time of the dead, that they should be judged, And that You should reward Your servants the prophets and the saints, And those who fear Your name, small and great, And should destroy those who destroy the earth.”” Revelation 11:18
Here are two questions to consider as we conclude:
- Do you know the Personal God of Creation? He wants you to know Him. He desires a relationship with you!
- Are you honoring God by honoring His creation. Are you treating others with respect and love?